Thursday, May 28, 2009

How I Came to the Foreign Service – 2

Motivation is a major factor in joining the Foreign Service. You must possess it to subject yourself to the application and exam, maintain it during months of waiting, and finally express it (both in writing and verbally) during the Oral Assessment.

I scrutinized my motivation from every angle and determined unequivocally that a career in the Foreign Service was what I wanted.

I found my primary motivation was to serve my country—a desire born from my father’s example of military service. I had considered the armed forces in the past but was more interested in other areas of public service.

A secondary motivation was for my family to have broad cultural experience. I’ve always felt that early and often foreign exposure taught me to relate with humility to other cultures, instilled a love of learning, and built a respect for history. I want the same and more for my children.

I also discovered many more-personal motivating factors. Diplomats enjoy generous compensation, daily challenges, variety of work, and opportunities to learn new languages, experience other cultures, and make a real difference in people’s lives.

My final motivation was my belief in the power of diplomacy. I know that diplomacy can’t solve everything—that’s not what I’m espousing. But I know from experience that people separated by vast geographical and cultural gulfs can find common ground in an afternoon of conversation. I know that diplomacy happens every time two people interact.

So I’m committed to a lifestyle of personal diplomacy that, while it may never directly influence world leaders or policy makers, will hopefully impact the hearts and minds of individuals I meet on a daily basis. And who knows, maybe those individuals will go on to preach against terrorism, treat their wives and children better, or change a repressive regime.

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is something I‘ve been searching for a while. I am thankful to you for writing this article. I must say you are a wonderful blogger. I hope, I would read one of your another post soon! Dress shirts MEN'S CLOTHING & FASHION APPAREL SINCE 1877. Shop Bachrach.com - Men's Suits, Shirts, Ties, Coats, Pants, Blazers & Accessories Online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful to you for sharing of information, I am uncommonly fulfilled by the substance of your article is to a great degree profitable and I sit tight for the accompanying article to upgrade the information yet again.
    Side View Mirror Glass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable.Great posts. I love this article.
    Visit - Compensation lawyers sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a funny blog! I actually loved watching this comic video with my family as well as including my mates.
    Post production retouching services

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.
    Side Mirror Glass

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is psyche blowing! It truly shows to me where to open up my online journal. I infer that in the end later on I may attempt to make a book to oblige my web journal, yet we will see.Good post with pleasing tips and thoughts.
    Kondulet-Kondulet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, thanks for all the visitors, I will upload many more video clips in coming days, admin
    San Diego Masonry contractors

    ReplyDelete