Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sorry; I lied.

I know I said that I'd write about work, but it will have to wait at least until next time. I will say that I'm enjoying my job, my co-workers are great, etc.

We've started getting some of the things we ordered through the mail. Sara's birthday present finally came (pictures below were taken with it). We got the diapers we ordered. Of course now we know that we like the ones we get here better; and they're cheaper. Oddly enough, baby formula is also cheaper here. So far, those appear to be the only two things that are cheaper in Costa Rica. Well, those and haircuts.

I'd gone quite a while (more than a month) without a haircut. There's a little barber across from the embassy. I walked in yesterday and got a great cut for $6. I had one moment of panic when he pulled out the straight-edge razor. Sara and I saw Sweeny Todd back in February and I had a flashback. Thankfully, he didn't cut my throat.

Speaking of cheap things; right in front of the barber shop is a lunch kiosk where you can get a huge plate of chicken/beef/fish, rice, beans, salad, veggies, plantains, plus a drink for $4. Ok, so there are many cheap things here. But I can tell you one thing that isn't cheap: drycleaning. I took 6 shirts and a tie to the drycleaner and it cost me $28. At least I think that's expensive. Sara used to take my clothes for me. I'm going to try a different place next time.

We've clocked over three weeks here. It has gone pretty fast. But it feels wrong that we haven't gone to the beach yet. Who spends three weeks in Costa Rica and doesn't go to the beach? Oh well; we'll get there. I've started making a list of things I want to do before we move again. One of the things we're looking forward to the most is having visitors.

In gardening news, my thyme is coming up nicely, and I'm pretty sure I see some movement in the pineapple. If growing everything here is going to be this easy, I should be fairly successful.


My thyme pot.


The back of our house and some of the side yard.

2 comments:

  1. John,

    Glad you're enjoying Costa Rica.. When you're ready for the beach, let me know.. I have a vacation rental right in the center of Jaco.. It has excellent security and is within walking distance to EVERYTHING.. If you are interested in renting it for a week or weekend, please let me know.. My condo is on the VRBO website. http://www.vrbo.com/277427
    I hope you continue to enjoy your experience there.. Jessica..

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    You made my evening - great to know there's both a barber shop and a lunch kiosk thingie right across the street from work! We're a family of five, San Jose bound for our fourth FS tour. We depart Prague in a week, and are scheduled to pull in to CR in early August.

    Looking forward to meeting you and your family!

    Kevin Rubesh
    http://blog.rubesh.info

    ReplyDelete