Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Busy all around

At home -- Sara is finally past the morning sickness phase of pregnancy. We're all happy about that. We have some pictures of the baby from Sara's first appointment, but we won't find out the sex for another month. Malachi is getting very excited about having a little brother or sister. He has named the in-utero child "Chickenbutt." Hopefully he won't be too disappointed when we choose a less scatological name.

Friday night Sara and I went out to a movie. The Time Traveler's Wife = exactly what it looks like in the trailer. If that's your cup of tea, enjoy. I also went to District 9 with a couple of work friends. Our opinions were split. One friend said it was one of the worst films he had ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And since this is my blog, I'll just say that he's wrong. This weekend we also had a poker night, volleyball tournament, and Vietnamese food outing.

At work -- In ConGen we are deep in non-immigrant visas. FSI (the Foreign Service Institute) has a mock consular area complete with eight consular windows behind bulletproof glass. During our roleplays, those playing the applicants have access to several boxes of costumes. The roleplays have been very helpful for me. I learn much better by doing something than by hearing about how to do it. Also it's fun to play the annoying applicant.

For the first few weeks of ConGen we had a lot of open time, but this week is pretty packed. I was nearly at work for 8 hours today (whew!). The downtime we do have is supposed to be spent studying or doing homework, but I can't stop playing Desktop Tower Defense.

In unrelated news, the owners of woot! have launched a new site that sells kid's stuff. This is clearly a poorly-disguised plan to make me spend even more money on their websites.

3 comments:

  1. DTD thanks for another time suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learn best by doing as well. I bet you'd play an exceptionally annoying applicant ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the baby!!

    I will trust your film snob judgement on both movies. Thankfully my wife doesn't want to see Time travelers Wife. Nor GI Joe funnily enough.

    Well excuse me while I go visit Engrish.com.

    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete