Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Recovery!

Turned out my illness was strep. This is the first day in a week that I have felt like myself. I still have a lot of antibiotics to take, but it's great to have a clear head again.

In the midst of my fever, I went through some interesting phases. One day, I felt completely trapped in the house: cabin fever after only a few hours. The next day I was terrified about our move to China. I was convinced that we had made a huge mistake in coming here, and that I had forever ruined our lives. The entire time of my fever, I was really emotional and would tear up even at sappy commercials. This is certainly not the kind of information I would generally volunteer, but it was so bizarre that I want to record it.

Speaking of bizarre, I decided not to shave whilst sick, just to see what would happen. It turns out that seven days without shaving is still not very impressive...it's mostly just embarassing.



In total I missed three days of ConGen, fully half of the module we were in. Still, I managed to catch up and pass the exam today. I still have to make up all of the lectures, roleplays, and application training I missed, but it's been worked into the schedule for me. It's going to eat up a good portion of my free time, but I'm glad not to repeat the whole module. Four weeks left on ConGen, then I start Mandarin!

I made a fort for Malachi out of one of the giant boxes from our air shipment. It quickly became his "dog house." The other night we let him sleep inside it.


In other news, we went to a church on Sunday that seems pretty good. We're going back this weekend and taking a couple of friends along. We bought some theater tickets for a few shows this fall and spring. We mini-golfed today and it feels like we're in the pool almost every day. Malachi is progressing in his bike riding. I wish I had more time to read. I bought Woot! shirts for the whole family.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better!!!! That is a gives me an idea for our kids to use our boxes as well, thanks! We are headed your way and my husband starts on 9-14-09. We arrive the weekend before that. Maybe we will see you all by the pool : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing better. Jess is pretty much the same way if he doesn't shave for a few days... not much scruff to speak of.

    ReplyDelete