Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July

It's not that I've been avoiding the 4th, I just haven't been out to see fireworks in a few years. But I'd been looking forward to Independence Day ever since I found out that we'd be in D.C. Some people told us we HAD to go downtown, and some said to avoid it at all costs. I'm very glad that we went, and would do it again.

We took the metro downtown around 4 p.m. and staked out a place near the Washington Monument. Dad, mom, Malachi and I walked to the Air & Space museum to look at the rockets. Dad walked back to relieve Sara of place-saving duty, and she met us at the Natural History museum. Malachi loves the dinosaur bones, mummies, and just about anything else...for about 10 seconds...and then he wants to see something else.

We got back to our viewing spot with about an hour to go until fireworks. They were great. It's not that the display was particularly spectacular, but the location, scenery, and crowd really did it for me.

We cut out a few minutes early to huff it to the Metro station, and made it out on the first train.

Here are a few picture highlights from the day:

1 comment:

  1. That's probably one of those things you've just got to do while you're there. Looks like it was amazing. Say hi to your parents for me. I hadn't thought about it until just now, but I might never see them again now.

    ReplyDelete