Friday, July 24, 2009

It's Official (again)

Yesterday was our swearing-in ceremony as Foreign Service Officers. But it was only that--a ceremony. We took our oath on the first day of training (more than a month ago) because we had to be sworn-in to get on the payroll. Even so, it was a nice ceremony and the Deputy Secretary administered the oath.

All this means that today is the last day of A-100. We all (mostly) go separate ways starting on Monday. A fifth of the class starts work at Main State on one-year D.C. assignments, and the rest of us start various trainings (consular, language, security, area studies, etc.). For me, it's general consular training (ConGen) followed by months of Mandarin.

Tomorrow is my 10-year high school reunion. I'm looking forward to it. Sara and I are flying to Minneapolis and in the morning, and I'm coming back on Sunday night. Sara and Malachi (already in MN) will stay there for a week visiting friends and family. So my first week in ConGen I'll also be flying solo in D.C.

1 comment:

  1. Stay out of trouble...

    You need to change your banner picture too.

    ReplyDelete